The focus of this course is on the integration of behavioral health practices, including screening for suicide risk, into the primary care setting. Presenters cover a number of issues, including an overview of the Medical Home model, the Behavioral Health Works program, and improving the process for referring youth to behavioral health services. Challenges, solution, program components, and outcomes will be discussed.
Molly Gatto, MHA, Program Director EPIC IC PA Medical Home Initiative PA Chapter AAP, Media, PA
Stan Mrozowski, PhD, Pennsylvania Bureau of Children’s Behavioral Health Services, Harrisburg, PA
Guy Diamond, PhD, Associate Professor at Drexel University in the College of Nursing and Health Professions; Director, Center for Family Intervention Science, Philadelphia, PA
Matthew Wintersteen, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry & Human Behavior Director of Research, Division of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Sidney Kimmel Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University; Executive Board, Prevent Suicide PA, Philadelphia, PA
Linda J. Thomas, MD, Internal Medicine and Pediatrics Wright Center For Primary Care, Jermyn, PA
Sherry Peters, MSW, ACSW Director of PRTF Waiver Initiative National Technical Assistance Center for Children’s Mental Health, Georgetown University Center for Child and Human Development, Washington, DC.
Course Learning Objectives:
- Participants will be able to describe the Medical Home model and its benefits to mental health through coordinated care.
- Participants will review the state and local strategies and initiatives for youth suicide prevention.
- Participants will receive an overview of suicide and primary care, including screening and treatment.
- Participants will evaluate the success of primary care and behavioral health integration based on a case study example.
- Participants will assess the challenges of collaborative suicide prevention.
Course Length: 90 minutes credit
Course Online Evaluation: You will be prompted with a link to an online survey at the end of the course.
Course Achievement: No certificate will be available for this course. Completion for this course will, however, show up on the user’s transcript with any other courses that have been completed on the site.